Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Happiness in Hollywood: A Personal Perspective

Working in a field plagued with inconsistent jobs, long hours and constant rejection is not the life most people would choose. In entertainment, becoming famous or even financially successful is extremely rare, but still countless individuals join the industry every day. As with any competitive business, the majority of one’s profession is spent climbing the ladder, slipping here and there, maybe getting back on and seldom making it to the top. Life in this industry can be draining and as someone who desires a career in film and television, I have regularly asked myself if I could lead a joyful life in a constant clamber. Inspired by This I Believe, a media project that is "engaging millions of people in writing, sharing, and discussing the core values and beliefs that guide their daily lives," I will present my philosophy on living, learning and happiness in such a tumultuous industry. This personal post meant to help readers understand the focus of my blog.

Individuals often join entertainment with the motive of award shows, parties, fame and riches. Although these are elements of the industry, very few get to revel in them. The typical actor spends the days driving in traffic from audition to audition, paying for classes and headshots (like my commercial one shown to the left), looking for agents and rarely making money. In fact, according to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, the average member of the Screen Actor’s Guild makes less than $5000 per year. Is this the way someone wants to live? American author Annie Dillard once said, “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.” I believe that the key to enjoying life is enjoying our days and in the case of an actor, enjoying the climb. If I did not love the process, I could never be happy as an actress. I look at auditions as opportunities to create, to play. Every screen test is a performance; every class is a chance to invent. A passion for the craft is what drives me. If acting were a chore, the joy would be lost.

Actors tend to have an innate interest in the human condition, a desire for a new perspective. Natalie Portman, seen to the right, is an actress that I greatly admire. She has incredible intelligence and versatility that is brought to nearly every character she portrays. Portman wisely stated, "I'm going to college. I don't care if it ruins my career. I'd rather be smart than a movie star." I see education as vital to understanding human behavior, the core of acting. I believe life is a constant motion that will lead me where I am meant to be. The key is to go in the direction I want to go, but let life take its course. For many, entertainment is a gateway, starting there then moving to an entirely new field. Some, like casting director Lonnie Hamerman, start with acting only to discover a love for a related career. Others just continue the climb. Its important to stay open change. As author Anais Nin describes it, “Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death.” In this field, artists continue to grow and learn with each project and each battle that they face. When I decided that I wanted to enter this field, I tried to convince myself that there were more lucrative, stable professions that I should pursue. However my mother wisely advised, “You at least have to try, or you’ll always regret it.” I believe everyone should start at their passion and see where it leads them. This prevents wondering what might have happened and creates contentment in the chosen path.

As people make their way through this grueling business (and many eventually abandon it), there are always others who seem miles ahead. Being content with my stage in the journey is a particular challenge, letting jealousy and competition affect my enjoyment in the profession. But I have found that celebrating each triumph in my personal climb helps combat these evils and no matter how small the victory, knowing that I am moving forward while growing and learning creates a self-worth and a positive perspective. By embracing these accomplishments instead of belittling them in comparison to others, my days and outlook are brighter. In an industry overflowing with obstacles and hardships, learning to truly enjoy the process is the best way to enjoy the life.

No comments: